FW: Total Cost of Ownership and porting (was FW: Can we have a mo ment of silence (or several million dollars) . . . please?)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Jun 26 14:30:56 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:34:19AM -0700, Schilling, Richard wrote:

> Keeping track of the time to recompile our code (as effortless as it may
> be), and comparing that with, say upgrading nodes with Windows NT is
> something your boss will appreciate.

Well, yes, but it's hard to give that info to anyone else and have it
mean something. My FSL customer is in the business of writing portable
parallel codes, so of course they didn't have any porting expenses
going to Alphas. On the other hand, I have done benchmarking for bids
from shops that were coming from a Cray T90, and I had to spend a fair
bit of my company's money porting their code so I could benchmark it.
Same hardware, both sites do weather prediction...

(Their shmem code wasn't even pedantically correct...)

g (my dash key is broken)