Pentium IV Xeon memory bandwidth. Any experience?

Thomas Guignon guignon at artabel.net
Tue Jun 26 05:49:48 EDT 2001

Sorry Greg, I forgot to reply in the beowulf list too.

Le Lundi 25 Juin 2001 17:39, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:19:15PM +0200, Thomas Guignon wrote:
> > We have tested and 1.2 Ghz with PC2100 DDR with Level 1 Blas and results
> > are quite nice:
> > -dnrm2: (one vector read)
> > 1450 10^6 B/s
> > -ddot: (two vector read)
> > 1040 10^6 B/s
> > -daxpy (one vector read and one vector read/write)
> > 1150 10^6 B/s
> > - copy  (one vector read and one vector write)
> > 990 10^6 B/s
>
> These numbers look like they are for vectors that fit into cache.
Hello,
the vectors are 1 000 000 doubles so they does not fit into cache
the motherboard is a FIC DA11 (AMD 760)

> What does the STREAM benchmark report for this board? I bet it's

>From my opinion the STREAM bencmark reports more the compiler ability
to generate eficient code than the hardware performance. I made some
test with STREAM on a DS20 system with gcc and Compaq C, results were
quite differents.
I think it's dificult to conclude something on memory bandwidth with a gcc
compiled STREAM.

A+
Guignon Thomas, guignon at artabel.net
Tel: 01 69 18 95 95