How to mirror a harddisk for backup purpose -ghost

alvin at alvin at
Fri Jun 22 16:36:25 EDT 2001

hi ya david

> You could also use Norton Ghost.  You used to be able to download a trial
> version, but I don't know if that is possible any more.

i've used ghost ad seen people use ghost...

seen people LOSE their master disk too during the process...
( just depends on the disk and os i suppose
> The problem with tar is that you need disk space to store the intermediate
> file between your backup and restore.

tar does NOT need any intermediate file

tar zcf -  directories_to_copy | ( cd /mnt/new_disk ; tar xvfp - )

if you create instead of "-" ... than thats a back file
... and NOT a copy from disk to disk

have fun