How to mirror a harddisk for backup purpose

Felix Rauch rauch at
Fri Jun 22 07:37:02 EDT 2001

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Kwan Wing Keung wrote:
> THANKS!!!  May I know what is your preferred mirror method?

We usually do it with dd or with our own tool dolly [1] over the
network (with the aforementioned drawbacks) and we didn't have any
problems so far.

If you want to be on the safe side, you could try tar, e.g. like this:
(cd /sourcedisk; tar -cvf - --atime-preserve --same-owner -p -l) \
| (cd /targetdisk; tar -xf - --atime-preserve --same-owner -p -l)

Note: I don't know if the same options are required for both tar
commands, but this approach works fine.

Hope that helps.

- Felix

Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage:
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307