newbie requests advice.

Justin Moore justin at
Tue Jun 19 12:13:00 EDT 2001

> > What's wrong with Alpha/Linux ?
> nothing except our appliations we run were compiled to run on i386, and we
> don't have access to the source to recompile them.

   Well if your software is available in binary-only form and was compiled
for the i386, the application itself is limited to 3GB.  However, if your
applications can use IPC or can do MPI, you could get several copies of
the app running on one host (if you decide to pack more than 3GB into one
host).  And communication within the 127.x.x.x net will be much faster
than any other addresses. :)

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin at