liquid nitrogen cooling a possibility?

Steve Wickert wickert at
Mon Jun 18 15:06:59 EDT 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Robert G. Brown  wrote:
> All I can say is that if anybody mentions liquid Helium, superconducting
> computers, or building computer centers in Antarctica (so we can do our
> bit to melt the global icepacks directly) they'd better watch out for
> brown paper packages oozing an oily substance in their mail...;-)

Please, no oozing, oily packages ;-)

>From the LA Times, "Alaska May Get Data Storage Center"

         Much of the energy consumed by data centers is needed to cool the buildings to keep the
         equipment from overheating. Backers of the Netricity project say the North Slope's cold
         temperatures and dry air make it a perfect environment for a server farm and its isolation provides
              Heat from the servers, together with waste heat from the power plant, could be used to warm the
         building. Any cost of heating would be minimal compared to cooling in the south, Dodson said.

Steve Wickert
Protein Pathways