liquid nitrogen cooling a possibility?

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at
Tue Jun 12 06:10:01 EDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> I am trying to find information on whether anyone has tried to
> increase an off-the-shelf computer's performance by cooling either the
> CPU or the entire motherboard (probably more practical in terms of
> avoiding condensation issues) in liquid nitrogen. Are there components

Apart from individual components (electrolyte capacitors for instance)
stopping working: the mechanical stress due to anisotropy of motherboard
materials with their widely different thermal expansion coefficent will
break your motherboard.

If you cool the CPU alone, it might survive, but I wouldn't count on it.

-- Eugen* Leitl
ICBMTO  : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53''