Some newbie questions

JParker at JParker at
Fri Jun 8 16:47:30 EDT 2001

G'Day !

Actually the answer is more of a "it all depends"

Beowulfs are a optimized cluster of dedicated computer
servers/workstations that utilize message passing to perform parallel
computations.  Variations of the theme include non-dedicated workstations
networked together for parallel computations or a NOW/COW.

Now the most common message passing interface is either PVM or MPI.  Both
of which I believe has been ported to Macs and OS's other than Linux. (do
a google search).

However in a true Beowulf software hase been written for job control and
cluster management that may not be available for your particular cluster

So the short answer is that you can probably build a cluster using your
hardware to perform parallel computations, but it will be not be a

Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

"Stephen Gaudet" <steve-gaudet at>
Sent by: beowulf-admin at
06/08/01 11:01 AM

        To:     "Tom" <night4554 at>, <beowulf at>
        Subject:        Re: Some newbie questions

Hello Tom,

> -Can you hook up Macs and PC's in a beowulf?

You can use Alpha's, AMD's and Intel's, but as far as I know no support

> -Do i HAVE to use Linux

> -I can use processors of different speeds right? (200mHz, 100Mhz, 25
> mHz etc)
> -I can use different processors right? (AMD, pentium pro, pentium 3
> etc)

Stephen Gaudet
DCG Computer Technology, Inc.
Bedford, NH 03110