some general help in setting up a cluster

Thomas R Boehme mail at
Fri Jul 27 19:42:21 EDT 2001

> Two problems with ssh in RH 7.1 -- for one, they've eliminated the
> feature of rsh that a hostname symlink back to the executable acts as
> ssh hostname (rats, I've always liked and used that feature).  The other
> is more serious.  Due to purported bugs in the linux kernel (there is
> some finger pointing and I don't know who's really at fault) one can no
> longer background a job in an ssh session and then logout -- the logout
> hangs instead of disconnecting the background job from the controlling
> tty.  This really sucks.  Hopefully it will get fixed soon WHEREEVER the
> problem lies.

Try pressing ~. after logging out. That should disconnect the session (at
least it works on my systems).

Here is the help you get when pressing ~? in ssh:

Supported escape sequences:
~.  - terminate connection
~^Z - suspend ssh
~#  - list forwarded connections
~&  - background ssh (when waiting for connections to terminate)
~?  - this message
~~  - send the escape character by typing it twice
(Note that escapes are only recognized immediately after newline.)

Bye, Thommy