NFS question

Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project gscluster at
Fri Jul 13 10:13:01 EDT 2001

I've attempted the same thing before, but it simply does not work in any
cases that I've tested.  I does make since however, because (using your
terminology) HEAD is mounting X:/vol as /mnt/v1.  HEAD:/mnt/v1 is really
just a blank directory if you think about it, that HEAD maps as coming from
X:/vol.  Now, if HEAD exports /mnt/v1 to NODE1, then it is really exporting
a blank directory (i.e. i maps X:/vol when it personally reads/writes to it,
but it has no facility to forward this directory to NODE1, giving it a blank
directory instead).  This may not be entirely correct, but it is an
explanation I've found useful in thinking about such situations.  If NODE1
absolutely needs to see X:/vol, then you can use the ip forwarding/ ip
masquerading/ nat facilities in Linux (or your choice of OS) so that NODE1
knows about X and can see X:/vol itself.

Wes Wells