Channel-bonding - choice of switch?

Josip Loncaric josip at
Thu Jul 12 10:54:09 EDT 2001

Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> You can buy separate switches, unmanaged dirt cheap ones.

Sounds reasonable, and if we did use channel bonding, that's what we'd
do.  This "separate switches" solution results in two identical but
physicaly separate LANs, which means that you also need a bridge machine
between channel-bonded nodes and normal machines.  The bridge machine
can be a bottleneck for applications that need high bandwidth to normal
machines (data servers, video displays).

Dr. Josip Loncaric, Research Fellow               mailto:josip at
ICASE, Mail Stop 132C           PGP key at
NASA Langley Research Center             mailto:j.loncaric at
Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA    Tel. +1 757 864-2192  Fax +1 757 864-6134