Intel compilers for Linux 5.0 beta

Herbert Fruchtl fruechtl at
Thu Jul 5 12:41:03 EDT 2001

Hi Ole,

> Some results are published on our simple unofficial web site
> where we welcome contributions.

> Fortran compiler benchmarks:

I just looked at yor comparison of the Intel and PGI compilers. I'm
particularly interested in the performance on the P4, but I have a few
remarks about your use of the PGI compiler:

- The newest release (3.2-4) allows to specify Pentium 4 as target (-tp
- All scientific codes I know (I am a quantum chemist) use double
precision as default. For this, the PIII SSE instructions are useless (I
think). The SSE2 instructions of the P4 should work. It would be
interesting to see the results of your tests with -tp piv -Mvect=sse.

Looks like the P4 information didn't make it into the PGI manual. I
found it in the release notes: