Scratch partition...

Joel Jaeggli joelja at
Fri Dec 7 15:11:58 EST 2001

scratch is an old unix convention for a storage space which nobody owns
(so using it doesn't affect anyone's quota) but which is more stable than
/tmp (ie. it won't get flushed every day, or after reboots, or if it runs
out of space)...

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Geraldo Pereira de Souza wrote:

> People,
> In
> Starling describe how to build a beowulf system using some PC´s.
> I´m based in the tutorial to construct a beowulf system with 8 Pcs. Starling describe in the tutorial the the configuration of the nodes to export the filesytem.
> In a point he say:
> "We decided to export scratch partition from all nodes and use autofs to mount these from any node upon rquest. Our exports file looks like:
> /scratch n???,no_root_squash)"
> I´m new with administration of linux, but my question is: What is scratch partition?
> Must i create the directory /scratch ?
> Thanks,
> Geraldo Pereira de Souza (geraldo at
> Laboratório de Sistemas Integrados e Concorrentes - LAICO
> Universidade de Brasília - UNB

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary,
selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of
tyranny. - James Madison, Federalist Papers 47 -  Feb 1, 1788