diskless nodes? (was Re: Xbox clusters?)

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Dec 7 07:10:19 EST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Velocet wrote:

>well. I need someone to point out to me where my reasons are just dead wrong,
>or where I dont have enough experience - perhaps they can anticipate where I
>will go wrong before I find out the hard way. However, so far, others have
>raised points that I've indicated dont necessarily indicate that a diskless
>system is a bad choice all round (admittedly I havent gotten through
>all of today's posts yet).
As always YMMV. But quantum chemistry is an application in which the disk
access can be crucial. I've seen differences in total run time for a job
of a factor 3 between a disk accesed thru DMA and Non-DMA. If you have to
do all scratch space over NFS you will even have lower performance.

Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Biomedical center, Dept. of Biochemistry
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://zorn.bmc.uu.se/~spoel