Network RAM for Beowulf

Felix Rauch rauch at
Thu Aug 16 06:07:13 EDT 2001

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Amber Palekar wrote:
>    we as a group of four students are *also* thinking
> of implementing Network RAM for a beowulf cluster
> (assuming 100Mbps Ethernet ) whereby each node in the
> cluster will donate some part of their RAM to be used
> by all other we will basically be mapping
> this shared RAM to the address space of the current
> node.

If I understand you right, then you want to do Distributed Shared
Memory (DSM). A similar project is TreadMarks, so [1] might be
interesting for you.

Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage:
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307