performance tuning differences?

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk at physics.syr.edu
Tue Aug 14 10:01:16 EDT 2001

Any suggestions on pure performance tuning?  Maybe some things to look into?
I'm sure it's "everything" but are there any tricks that have been fairly
painless and resulted in good return?

We're benchmarking different platforms, some of which with the same hard
drive/memory/chipset/processor speed, network inconsequential, etc... with
more than subtle differences.

Just the difference of installing straight RedHat Linux 6.2 vs 7.1 has
resulted in 5%-20% performance differences depending on code, the higher
difference being floating point calculation code.

Just wondering what the consensus is for major things to try or avoid.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Kirkpatrick                   dkirk at physics.syr.edu
Computer Systems Manager