MPICH with RedHat 7.1

William R. Pearson wrp at alpha0.bioch.virginia.edu
Sat Aug 11 14:30:26 EDT 2001

I am having problems running the MPI version of the fasta program
under RedHat 7.1 on a 12 dual processor Intel cluster.  The PVM
version of the program works fine.

The program works perfectly with mpirun -np 3, which produces 2 worker
nodes and a manager.  However, mpirun with -np >3 always hangs in
MPI_Init(), as the host machine tries to contact the 3rd node.  The
program also fails if I use a -p4pg file, or -machinefile.

I am using the lateset MPICH 1.2.1 with all patches installed.  The
problem occurs using either ssh or rsh.

This is a program that worked fine under RH6.2 MPICH (except we were
broken into and decided to upgrade to RH7.1).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Pearson