mpich 'make testing'

Marc Cozzi cozzi at
Tue Aug 7 17:34:19 EDT 2001

 Not quite the same problems but I would be interested in what procedures
other people are using to build the mpich package with PGI. I've followed
method sent to the list by David Walker will no success. It would almost
seem there is a syntax error in the sed command. After making the change to
the Makefile, doing a make clean then make mpi >& Make.log I get a failure
Configuration completed.
cd mpich-1.2.0/ && BINDIR="" LIBDIR="" sed -e 's at MPIR_HOME   =
   = $\\PGI/linux86@' Makefile > Makefile.pgi
sed: -e expression #1, char 58: Unterminated `s' command
make: *** [mpich-1.2.0] Error 1

Tried the method on the Portland web page which is about the same. I see a
lot of
unresolved references to bproc stuff. Created a pgconfig file that has the
Then ececuted it.
./configure -c++=pgCC -cc=pgcc -fc=pgf77 -cflags="-Msignextend -tp px
FOR_XDR -DHAVE_RPC_RPC_H=1" -opt=-fast
-fflags="-tp px" -c++flags="-tp px" -f90flags="-tp px" -f90=pgf90
al/mpich -comm=shared
sed -e 's at MPIR_HOME   = .*$@MPIR_HOME   = $$\\PGI/linux86@' Makefile >

This runs along quit a ways but near the end complains about the following:

/root/beompi/beompi-1.0.14/mpich-1.2.0/lib/libmpich.a(chnodename.o): In
function `
chnodename.o(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `bproc_currnode'
make[4]: *** [cpi_log] Error 1
** C application cannot be linked with logging library
** Testing if C application can be linked with tracing library
make[3]: *** [overtake] Error 1
make[2]: [linktest] Error 2 (ignored)
Could not link a C program with MPI libraries
make[2]: *** [linktest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [linktest] Error 2
make: *** [mpi] Error 2

Any suggestion you may have would be of great help. G77 is just plain
too picky and slow for the codes we need to run..

Marc Cozzi
Univ. of Notre Dame
cozzi at