Trivial C question: iterating through chars

Walter B. Ligon III walt at
Fri Apr 20 13:08:24 EDT 2001

I'm not sure if you are more interested in ASCII or in C programming.

My suggestion is you try "man ascii" which will give you a complete
listing.  otherwise, printable ascii runs from 32 to 126 decimal:

char c;

for (c = 32; c < 127; c++)
	printf("Ascii %d is %c\n", c, c);

or you could try:

int i;

for (i = 0; i < 10000; i++)
	if (isprint(i))
		printf("Ascii %d is %c\n", i, i);

which will give you all sorts of stuff that isn't ascii, but is technically
"printable" - I only tested to 10000, but there are probably more printables
above that. I suppose you could go to MAXINT.

Dr. Walter B. Ligon III
Associate Professor
ECE Department
Clemson University