BLAST or wu-blast for beowulf?

Christian Storm christian.storm at cgr.ki.se
Fri Apr 20 05:09:33 EDT 2001

> Subject: BLAST or wu-blast for beowulf?
> From: gregory j pryzby <greg at pryzby.org>
> To: beowulf at beowulf.org
> Date: 19 Apr 2001 11:01:49 -0400
>
> I am looking for infromation (w/o much success) to see if there is a
> version of BLAST that will run on a beowulf cluster.

AFAIK there is no freely available Blast for Beowulf, neither WU or NCBI.
I think SGI  rewrote it to run on a beowulf - cluster. But they want to sell
it together with their hardware ... .
A single Blast job normally runs fast enough - so a very easy thing to do is
to write a script that splits up a multiple sequence query and distributes
it to the nodes. Another way to do it would be to add some pvm/mpi code to
the NCBI source code, that does the same thing as the script. Advantage
would be that the database is not reloaded for every query.

Christian