Using 2 NICS?

Robert Ross rross at
Wed Oct 25 14:47:41 EDT 2000

What do you mean "Linux is assigning both IPs to the first NIC"?
Something like:

# ifconfig eth0
# ifconfig eth1

doesn't work?  It would be a terrible change in the semantics of ifconfig
if it didn't.  I have done this more than once, but not under RH7.0 or
Linux 2.4.  I would be surprised if it were impossible to do now though.

Perhaps what you mean is "the way I have my RedHat machine configured
keeps putting both IP addresses on the same card and I don't know how to
fix that"?

Rob Ross, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Lab

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Karl Bellve wrote:

> The question is, is it possible to use two NICs with their own unique IP
> on the same subnet? I would then allow half of our computers to connect
> to one IP and the other half to the other IP. I know this isn't load
> balancing but I think this should be doable.
> Right now, Linux is assigning both IPs to the first NICs since they have
> the same netmask and gateway.

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at