Mpich 1.2.1 problems

Franz Marini marini at
Thu Oct 5 04:19:25 EDT 2000

Hi all,

  I think I've got more problems with mpich on our 16 nodes cluster.

  I'm trying to install mpich 1.2.1 (latest rev) from source. I can
compile it with no apparent problem, but when I try to make and run the
tests under examples/test with "make testing" I get several errors,
particularly I get one recurrent error :

  [mpdcon]: failed to close fd 17

  I have compiled mpich with :
   ./configure --with-arch=LINUX --with-device=ch_p4mpd --with-mpe -opt=-g

  using gcc, f77 and pgf90 (I didn't want to try pgf77 until I was sure I
didn't have any other problem).

  By the way, cpi under examples/basic works without any flaw with :

   mpd &
   startdaemons 4
   mpirun -np 4 cpi

  Therefore I don't think it's a big issue in p4mpd.
  Oh, the nodes are all diskless, mounting root via nfs from the
server. Maybe it's a problem of nfs...

  Any advice would be appreciated.

  Thank you all in advance,

                              Franz Marini

Franz Marini
Sys Admin and Software Analyst,
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.

"There's nothing wrong in M$oft that Linux can't cure..."

email : marini at

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at