Alteon ACEnic card

Stefano auro at
Mon Oct 2 15:39:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Gary Stiehr wrote:

> Hi,
> 	We are looking at Alteon's ACEnic card for use in our cluster.  I was
> wondering what people's experiences have been with the performance of
> Alteon ACEnic cards.  Which switches do you use with the cards?  Do you
> take advantage of the "jumbo frames?"  Any information would be helpful.

my personal experience, with similar cards (netgear), is simply .... bad.
We have many double xeons with 64bits PCI slots. Since we are using fast
100 switch, and bandwidth is never enough, I bought 2 netgear cards and
optical cable to make some tests. Xeons are too slow to handle this
bandwidth while running jobs, so the effective bandwith is near the fast
100 connection. This is my "personal", sad, experience. Other users may
be more lucky !