Errors while installing rpm on a RedHat 6.2 master.

Ken lowther at
Mon Nov 27 13:49:20 EST 2000

Robert Sand wrote:
> Hello,
> I've looked through the archives and I find nothing on this.  When I run rpm to
> add the kernel-smp-2.2.16-21.beo.i686.rpm to my master I get an error message
> about not finding sound.o package.  After this I am unable to remove the package
> apparently because it hasn't finished and my original kernel files are removed.
> Is there a way to fix this so I can install this package and get my cluster
> running?

I believe sound.o is a sound module.  I don't see why this should crash
the install.  Did you try verifying the package before installing?  Are
your original kernel files gone?  They should still be in /boot and you
should be able to run the old or new kernel with the proper lilo
configuration.  Don't try and reboot without modifying /etc/lilo.conf to
point to your new kernel and runing /sbin/lilo.

Ken Lowther
Youngstown, Ohio

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at