A beowulf for parallel instruction.

Andrew Shewmaker shew0469 at cs.uidaho.edu
Wed Nov 1 15:54:26 EST 2000

Hi, I'm Andrew Shewmaker and a student at the University of Idaho.

This semester I am participating in a High Performance Computing class
whose sole purpose is to build a Beowulf cluster.  The cluster will be
used next semester to study Bioinformatics and to teach students to about
parallel programming.

The cluster is not built yet...we just sent out the PO.  However, you may
find our parts list useful

Software-wise, we are planning on trying out Scyld's distribution first.

Good luck,

You said:

We are planning to provide a vehicle for instruction in
parallel computing. Given this rather vague objective,
what influence might this have on the selection of
hardware and software? The selection of non-bleeding
edge components is one obvious issue but there must be
others.  Although this is slightly off-topic I'd
greatly appreciate comments from those who are running
machines that may cater to this area as part of their

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at beowulf.org