PGI acquired by ST microelectronics.

James Cownie jcownie at
Tue Dec 19 14:42:55 EST 2000

Since I believe that many folks use PGI's Fortran compilers on their
Beowulfen I thought the list might be interested in this :-

  Geneva, December 19, 2000 - STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) today
  announced an agreement to acquire Portland Group Inc (PGI), a vendor
  of compilers and software development tools to the high-performance
  parallel computing market. ST will invest $17.1 million to acquire
  full ownership of PGI's operations, including the product portfolio,
  know-how and technologies developed by the company. Based in Portland,
  Oregon, PGI is a privately held company that has been operating for 10
  years and has world-class expertise in advanced computing
  architectures and bringing parallel compiler technologies into
  production on the world's fastest parallel supercomputers.

Where this leaves the Linux products is extremely unclear. ST seem to
want the people and compiler technology for their embedded processors.
The press release makes no mention at all of PGI's commodity compiler

As yet there's nothing on at all.

-- Jim

James Cownie	<jcownie at>
Etnus, LLC.     +44 117 9071438