Scyld and fstab for Diskless slaves

Chip Coldwell coldwell at
Tue Dec 19 12:12:41 EST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Erik Arjan Hendriks wrote:

> The floppy is really just a generic netboot.  It contains its own
> kernel and ramdisk.  It downloads another kernel and another ramdisk.
> The download works via TCP because TFTP is flaky under load.  TCP will
> fall down too at some point but it will do so later than TFTP and it
> was easy to implement for a first cut.

Let me see if I understand you correctly: each node initially boots
from floppy and then goes through a sort of second-stage boot that
sets up the ramdisk, etc., is that right?  So a local floppy disk is
required on every node?

Have you ever tried doing this with PXE?  Or does the PXE reliance on
tftp (even multicast tftp) make it undesirable?

Charles M. "Chip" Coldwell
"Turn on, log in, tune out"

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at