HD cloning

Rich Grenyer r.grenyer at ic.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 09:14:11 EST 2000

>Has anyone had any experience with cloning hard drives for cluster
>installations? Our cluster needs fully functional disk-based nodes
>unfortunately, and I don't feel like running through the RedHat
>installation procedure that many times - any suggestions, or am I
>just being lazy?

Oops - preemptive post. Apparently (!) dd will cover it when booted
off a floppy:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=[whatever the disk i/o cache is]

as long as the hd devices are identical.

In a last-ditch attempt to make the whole posting episode remotely
worthwhile....: if they weren't identical, what would people

Rich Grenyer

Mammalian Evolution and Conservation
Biology Department
Imperial College at Silwood Park