Beowulf cluster

Walters, David David_Walters at
Tue Aug 29 08:34:10 EDT 2000

Check out audio and sound reinforcement rack equipment companies.  I own a
tray that is similar to what you describe, in my sound reinforcement rack.
Standard 19", pull out tray, full of holes for mounting various OEM audio
products, but easily modifiable.  Start with a company called Raxxess

-----Original Message-----
From: James Alton [mailto:jalton at]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2000 6:03 PM
To: beowulf at
Subject: Beowulf cluster

I'm looking to build a cheap beowulf cluster. I need it to fit into a
19" rackmount enclosure.
I was wondering if anyone had any good sources on a very simple way
to mount a motherboard
into the 19" form. I need a piece of metal (bare shelf) that has
raised places with holes
to mount a standard ATX motherboard, and on the same piece of metal,
perhaps 2-4 3.5 inch devices.
As well, there should be holes that make this piece of metal look
like cheese. (This is for air
flow.) Also, there has to be an area to mount an ATX power supply. I
am willing to pay 20-40 bucks
per piece. This seems to be way cheaper than an enclosed node system,
each enclosure costs like
$250? This seems outrageous for a piece of metal and power supply. If
possible, I would also like
the motherboard mount to be able to slide out. If no one has any
information on this,
I would even consider taking a metal shop class, or getting
commercial production for such a
bare motherboard rackmount. It seems like something there is a great
need for.

:James Alton
jalton at

Version: PGPfreeware 6.5.3 for non-commercial use <>

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at

Beowulf mailing list
Beowulf at