African Clusters

Mark Gebhardt mark at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 8 11:05:05 EDT 2000

I am very interested to know how many Beowulf (or other) clusters are in
Africa (especially South Africa). This technology, with its low cost of
ownership is ideally suited to African economies where there is little
money available in research or company budgets.

At the University of Cape Town, we have an 8-node cluster which has been
(and continues to be) used in research for industry in SA. There is also
work being done at UCT in the field of weather systems analysis using a
clustered architecture.

I would appreciate any information or links which list subscribers may
have.

Thanks.

Regards
Mark Gebhardt