The comeback kid, returns
Intersect360 Research, a market research and analysis firm focused on the High Performance Computing (HPC) industry, announces the its latest 2010 total market model and five-year forecast for the overall High Performance Computing (HPC) market, including servers,storage, services, software, networks and other products. The forecast horizon is from 2011 through 2015, with compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) using 2010 as a base.
According to Intersect360 Research, HPC market recovery occurred sooner than expected, with strong, double-digit growth in 2010 coming back from the recessionary 2009. In addition, they expect strong growth to continue in 2011 before moderating to more sustainable growth rates in the out-years of the forecast.
Intersect360 Research divides the HPC market in two super-segments: High Performance Technical Computing (HPTC, formerly referred to as Traditional HPC) and High Performance Business Computing (HPBC, formerly referred to as Edge HPC). For our newest model, they have reclassified certain vertical market segments from HPTC to HPBC and restated prior years. HPBC represents about one-third of the total HPC market and has a higher growth rate than the HPTC market.
This report discusses high-level expectations for the HPC market and these two "super-segments" with details down to the product-class level. Intersect360Research provides historical, current, and future forecast revenues for servers, storage, software, services and networks for both HPTC and HPBC. More detailed discussions on additional segmentations (e.g., economic sector, server class, vertical and geographic region) will be provided in subsequent Intersect360 Research reports.
Some of the key findings from this report include:
- The total HPC market in 2010 was $25.6 billion, up 22.4% from 2009. Much of this short-term high growth rate can be attributed to sales cycles accelerating again,after having slowed for the previous two years.
- Intersect360 Research projects the HPC revenue compound annual growth rate to be 7.0% from 2010 to 2015, reaching $36.0 billion at the end of the forecast period. The growth will be highest in 2011 and 2012 before moderating to more sustainable growth rates in the outer years.
- HPTC contributed 69% of total HPC market revenues in 2010, with HPBC contributing the remaining 31%.
About Intersect360 Research
Intersect360 Research is a market intelligence, research, and consulting advisory practice focused on suppliers, users, and policymakers across the High Performance Computing ecosystem. Intersect360 Research relies on both user-based and supplier-based research to form a complete perspective of HPC market dynamics, trends, and usage models.